Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rediscovering My Religion- Tendulkar still my God!!!


Though I have always been a spiritual person I have never considered myself religious. My religion and God were chosen by my conscience when the world saw the rise of Sachin Tendulkar. It is tough, rather blasphemous, to place someone at such a pedestal, for in a country like India every town has its own Godman, the supposed incarnation of God. But not every Godman has the humility and the skills which sways an entire nation.And this God doesn't use His tongue to converse but it His divine skills with the willow that does most of the talking.

With God in His last leg of an illustrious career I was almost losing my religion but then IPL infused a new life into my beliefs. The God has not been replaced though, how would He be God if He is replaced, yet the beliefs have been redefined. IPL has provided the much needed shot-in-the-arm to the ailing cricket following, which was on borrowed oxygen. And it has refurbished my faith.

Cricket in India became a passion shortly after the win at Lord's by Kapil's devils. Though I was too young to understand the quantum attached to such a win, when I see the toothy smile of Kapil Dev holding aloft the Prudential Cup at Lord's in those archived videos, it gives me a strange nostalgic feeling.

1989 was the year when Tendulkar made his debut against Pakistan. I do not remember anything of that tour even. I just remember my elder cousins, who were avid cricketers themselves, talking about a certain Waqar Younis and his bloody - no metaphor this - bouncer. It was in 1992 that I could understand why most of the Indians decided to adopt a new religion, Cricket and our God, Sachin Tendulkar. The world cup was never a memorable affair for India, save the Prudential Cup. But it was Tendulkar's Cup and so were the future versions. What pains me is God wished to bring back the Cup home and it seems the elements are all conspiring against Him. So far they have been fooling themselves cos it is just God's human side and 2011 is not far away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

बेकर्स डज़न

डी की अनुशंसा पर हमने फ़िल नाइट लिखित किताब “शू-डॉग” पढ़ना शुरु किया। किताब तो दिलचस्प है जिसमें नाइट ने अपने जीवन और संघर्ष की विस्तृत जानक...